Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sport

Curious that generally speaking sport is lost on me - why spend so much time, energy and money on desperately trying to 'beat' someone else? Run along a track .01 of a second faster.

But these games are somehow wonderful - they incorporate something about the human condition that speaks volumes. One of the things is the dignity and grace in defeat, and in victory.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/7877087.stm

"A tearful Federer struggled to make his runner-up speech afterwards, admitting: "I've felt better. Maybe I'll try later. God, it's killing me."

Nadal, the first Spaniard to win the Australian title, accepted the trophy from Rod Laver and said: "Roger, I know exactly how you feel."

"Just remember you're a great champion and you're one of the best in history and for sure you're going to match Sampras. To receive this trophy from Rod Laver is a dream for me."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7862452.stm

Left the bar at 2.30 this morning having watched the scrappy and opportunistic England/Italy match, and caught a glimpse of what appeared a much more positive Ireland/France game. My prediction: Ireland, Wales, France, England, Scotland, Italy