Friday, April 24, 2009

Dance


A few years ago now a great friend and I rushed across London, late for a farewell performance by a great Russian dancer, and his friends, at Covent Garden - we ran up the escalators to the gods, only to have the doors closed on us, and had to sit in the corridor watching this Russian great on the video screen for the first ten minutes. My friend wept.
We crept in and took our seats, and watched the rest of the performance - I think Sylvie Guillieme was part of it. At that time I had little or no interest in dance, and very little understanding or appreciation of the visual arts generally, or art even. But I did like music.
In the interval my friend asked me what I thought of the performance - my response was "I have to listen to more Stravinsky" - the accompanying music.





Sketch by Rodin
This is like watching a great artist painting a picture - he is improvising: