Saturday, May 31, 2008

Third time lucky















On the subject of photography, I have often noticed that I tend to take photos of groups of three objects - I'll dig out some examples in due course. I once thought that perhaps this is because I have three sons, and am one of three brothers - but then I realised that I am not the first to be drawn to groups of three.

Take the three wise monkeys for instance. Or the Holy Trinity - Father Son and Holy Ghost; the Triptych; the Sun, Moon and Earth; Heaven above, Hell below, and here we are on Earth.
Families usually span three generations.
Jokes often involve an Englishman, Irishman and a Scotsman.


A lot of things quite naturally have a beginning, middle and end - meals are more complete after three courses - starter, main, dessert.

Students of rhetoric notice this trait in political speeches:

I came, I saw, I conquered.

Government of the people, for the people, by the people (?).

Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few.

Ready, steady, go.

etc.


A thesis provokes an antithesis which leads to a synthesis - got back onto harmony again.