Friday, October 9, 2009

She's gone

These quiet still moments of peace
when you spend more time than you need,
preparing, spreading, smoothing the sheets,
folding fresh towels - to be clean

I spoke yesterday about Yeats
and the love of his life - Maud Gonne
He asked her in vain again and again
Though she loved him more than some

'How selfish can you get!' the old man said
Yeats, not Gonne - to not let her go
to leave the life she half-wanted -
Love's not everything you know
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.











Had I the heavens’ embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.



W B Yeats